Building the SRC V Class

Models relating to railways, any gauge, any system, any state, anywhere! You don't have to model VR, all discussions are welcome!
AndrewCudgewa

Building the SRC V Class

Postby AndrewCudgewa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:25 pm

G'day All,

I have a wee problem (that does not seem to be faced by most members/readers of this group! :lol: ) in so far as I'm a bit short on motive power for goods work. I have enough for most operations through doubling, but it's time to apply myself to more. One target I have had in mind for a little while as a "quick" (watch how that changes....) option is conversion of a RTR loco to a “near” VR V Class as rebuilt to simple. The V Class is both an attractive and useful prototype, and the simple just makes it into my era.

Given the interest shown and queries received when I have shared some scratch building, and the occasional discussion around the topic, I thought some members/readers might be interested if I document at least the major stages of the build in this VRE forum.

I'm not sure about this as there's pros/cons to making one's inner modelling workings so public!! :oops: For example, the build might be a bit sporadic now I have changed to a more demanding work world, and have a 2nd child on the way....

Anyway, would it be helpful/interesting to any members/readers? Is there any interest in my doing so?

Cheers, Andrew

forthbrdge

Re: Building the SRC V Class

Postby forthbrdge » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:41 pm

I would be Andrew. Even though it is well out of my era, it is probably one of the few projects I could pursue with locally obtained supplies!

james13

Postby james13 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Andrew, there is always room for more goodies on the table so to speak, I for one would enjoy the thread and I may also see something that you differently or that I have not done and steal the idea and use it myself. Bring it on I say.
Modelling the trains I like

S301

Postby S301 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 pm

I would be very interested in seeing posting of the 'how' or at least 'progress' shots of a V :)

I've got one of the 'cheapie' Link Line (Powerline/Frateschi) V class locos around here, which I hope to rebuild into a somewhat better V.

I would also recommend contacting the 'V499' group, as they may be able to help with resources (their facebook group has a lot of good photos in any case!).

Look forward to it though!

Zec
A beat of 6... The heartbeat of an S class...
All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

IainS

Postby IainS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 am

I think it is a great idea leading to another of your interesting articles in AMRM.

Iain

mitch01

Postby mitch01 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Well i for one am always amazed at the skill shown by Andrews scratchbuilding.

Gives the less talented some insight into what the heck to do and how to do it.

AndrewCudgewa

Postby AndrewCudgewa » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:05 pm

G'day Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement :) and Ok, sounds like we have a go-er. Given the small number of us though, it will be easier to do via direct email, could you please PM me your email addresses and I'll get it going from there.

Cheers, Andrew

duttonbay

Postby duttonbay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:08 pm

AndrewCudgewa wrote:Thanks for the encouragement :) and Ok, sounds like we have a go-er. Given the small number of us though, it will be easier to do via direct email, could you please PM me your email addresses and I'll get it going from there.

I'm sure there's lot of people who may not be interested in building a V class, but would thoroughly enjoy watching how you go about it. Techniques you use could possibly be used for any number of other locos.

I would really like this to be kept on the forum...

S301

Postby S301 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:46 pm

I would much prefer to see it in this thread. That way anyone looking at a later date can see the 'how', not just the 'what' :)

Although the V class interests me (and hence, the 'what' part of the project), I'm also very interested in the 'how', so that I can hopefully learn something :)

Zec
A beat of 6... The heartbeat of an S class...
All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

K160

Postby K160 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Sounds like an interesting project Andrew. I'd be keen to see a "how to" article in either form. 8-)
Regards
Matthew Davis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew-davis-photography/
Now on Flickr
Last updated April 21st 2015
Celebrating 30 years of the R-class in operating preservation 1985-2015

Return to “Model Railways”