The road to narrow gauge...

Models relating to railways, any gauge, any system, any state, anywhere! You don't have to model VR, all discussions are welcome!
a686577

Re: The road to narrow gauge...

Postby a686577 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:04 am

Its a shame there isn't more HOn2.5 VR narrow gauge around. To my eyes it is the superior scale/gauge to use, and you can build a decent layout in a small space without really tight (to scale!) curves and compressed yards like you generally do with the BG - unless you have a very big train room. I watch with interest (and a little envy) the development of this layout.

Glenn H.

Postby Glenn H. » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:39 pm

I agree with you on the practicality of modelling VR narrow gauge in HOn30 and add the variety of directions you can go with it, from a relaxed railway back water like Whitfield to busy operations of Beech Forest in the 1920's or the modern Puffing Billy; then there's the swagfull of proposed lines for a "what if" layout. Rollingstock is usually available so it's just a shame we don't have a more affordable RTR NA or a reliable kit. I've never heard anything but discouraging comments about the Colonial / Chivers NA so I'm very interested in Nick's progress.
Cheers
Glenn H.

toxation
Site Admin

Postby toxation » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Glenn H. wrote:I agree with you on the practicality of modelling VR narrow gauge in HOn30 and add the variety of directions you can go with it, from a relaxed railway back water like Whitfield to busy operations of Beech Forest in the 1920's or the modern Puffing Billy; then there's the swagfull of proposed lines for a "what if" layout. Rollingstock is usually available so it's just a shame we don't have a more affordable RTR NA or a reliable kit. I've never heard anything but discouraging comments about the Colonial / Chivers NA so I'm very interested in Nick's progress.
Cheers
Glenn H.

I sincerely hope I have the worst behind me, as the motion was a little difficult to get nice and free rolling. The clearances are all so very tight. It looks neat, but you haven't got room for error. I'm still wondering where I'm going to incorporate the brushes for the wheel pickups. Normally I'd put them on the underside of a keeper plate, but this loco obviously has no keeper plate.

In general I would say that the motion is the most important aspect of building a steam engine kit, but I won't say that for this kit until I've finished it, as I'm sure I'll run into other things.

But I am relieved to have the motion done, now I just need to fix the issue of the gearbox.
Nick White

Robert_Boyle

Postby Robert_Boyle » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:40 pm

toxation wrote:I'm still wondering where I'm going to incorporate the brushes for the wheel pickups. Normally I'd put them on the underside of a keeper plate, but this loco obviously has no keeper plate.

Cut a couple of narrow strips of pc board (eg. sleeper strip) to a length the same as the overall frame width, cut gaps and epoxy them to the frame wherever you can find the space.

Make the pickups from phosphor bronze strip (there's excess in the SEM X class kit) and solder them to the pc boards. Then solder fine wires to run up to the motor.

I'd leave it until you can sort out the gearbox though. :(

RB

iansvr

Postby iansvr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Told you it would be fun to build Nick, sorting out the mech is the hardest part, it look like the axles actually extend past the wheels and thru the counter wieghts which is better than one i tried to build many eons ago, the axles were so short that you couldnt even get the other wheel on, the rest should be a breeze.

You could try Hollywood foundry for the gear, he may have one to suit.

http://www.iansvr.webs.com- Updated 2 July 2012

Ian Wilson Models - IWM Kits now available through PCB Electronics / Jaycar Bendigo.

toxation
Site Admin

Postby toxation » Sun May 01, 2011 1:37 am

Search for gearbox fix is continuing, in the mean time;

It's beginning to resemble something that sat at Newport after withdrawal. The smokebox is just sitting for a photo shoot. The tanks and footplate have all been assembled. It's looking like an engine almost.
Nick White

AndrewCudgewa

Postby AndrewCudgewa » Sun May 01, 2011 8:44 am

'Morning Nick,

Looking good - nice, clean and straight too, as is typical of your work. Thanks for keeping us posted :)

Cheers, Andrew

j514

Postby j514 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:26 am

Looking good Nick, you'll be here before you know it:
Modelling VR,Vline and Vline pass

james13

Postby james13 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Nice work Nick. I love seeing what you guys create from the ground up, start with a box of bits and soon you have a lovely looking loco. Have you decided what number it's going to be? I think you should do 8A with the modified front end. It's the best looking and sounding of all the NA's IMHO.
Modelling the trains I like

toxation
Site Admin

Postby toxation » Sun May 01, 2011 1:18 pm

8A in the modern form doesn't really fit what I want to do with my era, due to the MFE. 1910s is what I would like to do, so it'll have a fluted funnel and be in Canadian red. I've already decided it will be 7A.

This is the reason I bought those lining books, so I can get knowledgable on how to paint very fine lines for the lining on the loco.
Nick White

Return to “Model Railways”