Building the SRC V Class

Models relating to railways, any gauge, any system, any state, anywhere! You don't have to model VR, all discussions are welcome!
forthbrdge

Re: Building the SRC V Class

Postby forthbrdge » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Andrew,

Excellent model and Thank you for all the effort you put into the essays for this topic.

AndrewCudgewa

Postby AndrewCudgewa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:20 am

G'day All,

Thank you for the kind words and appreciation of the yarn. Great to hear it has been an enjoyable read. As with other models I have displayed here, the quality of the result is directly related to the quality of the inputs, so there are some pretty big thanks due in the concluding Chapter.

Cheers, Andrew

victorian t gauge

Postby victorian t gauge » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 am

That's what it's all about... Your an iconic modeler, I'm keen to meet you sometime soon. ;)

james13

Postby james13 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:54 pm

What can I say that the others haven't already said, WOW! Excellent to see it finished at last and it looks as it should, various shades of VR black. :D Great read and I hope that you intend to do the same thing with some of your future projects.
Modelling the trains I like

J 532

Postby J 532 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:24 pm

I've just picked up my jaw from the floor! It has come up amazing Andrew. Nicely painted and weathered. I love a grotty engine. I suppose it will be pulling your finest varnish through Glenburn?

Regards,
Scotty
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

K160

Postby K160 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:59 pm

Andrew, that V-class can be summed up in one word: Fantastic! Hopefully it will encourage others to build something like it. 8-)
Regards
Matthew Davis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew-davis-photography/
Now on Flickr
Last updated April 21st 2015
Celebrating 30 years of the R-class in operating preservation 1985-2015

IainS

Postby IainS » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:53 pm

"Hopefully it will encourage others to build something like it." or give up in despair at getting anywhere near the quality of the end product.

congratulations Andrew

AndrewCudgewa

Postby AndrewCudgewa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:11 pm

G'day All,

Thanks for the kind compliments, though Victorian T Gauge I am well south of "iconic", more likely "chronic"! :P

Yep, Cheers Scotty but I think unless there's a drought of suitable engines, the V this late in life won't be buffing up against Pass stock.

IainS, thank you also, but I do hope the yarn has shown how the build hasn't involved any extraordinary skills, expensive tools or talent, rather just thought around approach and a bit of time and care in build. Judging by many of the models put forward on this forum, I reckon this kind of conversion is within capability of many of the members here.

Chapter 19 – Into Operation & Conclusions – Thanks, Comparisons, Notes

Operations:
And so to service, having run the V quite a bit before the build and during it, it’s ready to place straight into the Glenburn service schedule. Must say, with a very smooth mechanism, plenty of weight, plenty of pick-ups and dare I say it, that traction tyre, it is a real delight to drive. Here’s a couple of pictures of the V on it’s 2nd revenue run, the Up Country Goods a few days ago.

There are a few pictures more on the Updates site if you’re interested:
http://vrlatestupdates.blogspot.com.au/

I have mentioned before that I am just the modeller, any quality is directly attributable to the inputs. Throughout the build I have mentioned the 2 people supporting the build – Buninyong and Phil Dunn. Both are very learned in VR matters but beyond that, have had long held particular interest in the V Class. Throughout the build they have provided excellent, invaluable and ready information, review of content and build, and plenty of constructive suggestion. I went into this build not knowing much about the V, and it is no exaggeration to say this model wouldn’t have been built without their support in these and other ways, and as such I dedicate it to them both.

Thanks are also due to Geoff Baxter at Hollywood Foundry who, quietly helpful behind the scenes as always, provided a file of pictures and plans that was really helpful in discerning the myriad details – there is far more on the V than I thought!

Final thanks are due to the VRE Forum for providing a hosting location for the yarn and also for your support, feedback and interest shown over the duration of the build. Particular thanks to those of you who went out of their way both on and offline to show interest or suggestion.

For all above, thanks also for helping to provide an added impetus to keep focused and get the job done.

Notes:

Total (Actual) Time:
I think this balances out at approx. 1-2 hours actual modelling time per chapter, the non-work chapters allowing for some extra work in others – therefore this build likely took somewhere between 18 and 36 actual modelling hours.

Costs:

- RTR loco $97
- Dome $8
- 14XX chimney $8 (est.)
- Buffers $5
- Tender bogies $14
- Couplings $4
- Air Pipe $1
- Lamps $4
- Materials $20 (est.)

Pretty cheap for a close to authentic VR steam locomotive Hey.

In concluding, a revisit to the caveats made at the start of the build:

“1.
This model can only ever be “near” as some of the differences will not be possible to work around in a timeframe shorter than building the model from absolute scratch. Compromises will be necessary. How “near”the model finishes up I will leave to you to decide.

My time is more limited now, so this may take a while. For those considering a scratchbuild, keep in mind the actual build time (as opposed to elapsed) is likely less than you think.

This is only my way of building a V. Likely not the best or worst way. Please know I don’t hold any claim this is the best way, I just need a V for my layout and am tackling how to get it.

It is hard to write honestly without my views creeping in. They’re only my views, please take them with a grain of salt and take no offence. If it offends, please stop reading.”

Thanks again everyone, time to crack open a nice cold SEM I wagon.

Cheers, Andrew

Harrison (Hitachi)

Postby Harrison (Hitachi) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Excelent work as always Andrew, such a beutiful loco, and is a credit to you!
love the last line though ahahaha :lol:
Cheers Harrison ;)

Nathan1000

Postby Nathan1000 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:47 am

Excellent photos Andrew, I must try to scratchbuild some wagons to 'build up' my rollingstock. I have a fictional wagon which is based on the UB van and the HD wagon that is currently being scratchbuilt....Just by looking at your photos and the models and kits that you have completed makes me inspired :) Thankyou for your great work and cheers on your V class, it's great to see that it turned out looking fantastic :)

Nathan
Trainspotting Along The Lines Of Victoria.
Rail Fanatic: http://www.youtube.com/user/Nathrail?feature=mhee
Find Rail Fanatic on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NathrailShortFilms?ref=hl#

Return to “Model Railways”