Building the SRC V Class

Models relating to railways, any gauge, any system, any state, anywhere! You don't have to model VR, all discussions are welcome!
forthbrdge

Re: Building the SRC V Class

Postby forthbrdge » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Thanks for finding the review, the boiler height issue is good to know.

Nathan1000

Postby Nathan1000 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:21 am

AndrewCudgewa wrote:
Nathan1000 wrote:G'day Andrew, Those chimneys and steam domes look interesting, what locos did they come from? I stumble quite abit over steam domes and chimneys, I'll have to start buying them now :(

G'day Nathan, the black/grey chimneys and domes are from either this 2-8-0, the Bachmann 4-6-0, the Hornby Terrier or the Liliput HOn30 0-6-2 (the two little ones). The brass funnels and domes are from Casula Hobbies under their "Classic Brass Models" range, the longer one is for a 32 Class, the shorter for a 50 Class (I think).

Cheers, Andrew

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated.
Trainspotting Along The Lines Of Victoria.
Rail Fanatic: http://www.youtube.com/user/Nathrail?feature=mhee
Find Rail Fanatic on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NathrailShortFilms?ref=hl#

Bruce McLean

Postby Bruce McLean » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:52 am

Andrew,
Did you know you have competition? This one is 12 inches to the foot!
http://www.vicsteam.com

Bruce

AndrewCudgewa

Postby AndrewCudgewa » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 pm

G'day Bruce,

:lol: I had heard of the scheme but not seen the site until last night. I think I may have the easier task....

Cheers, Andrew

AndrewCudgewa

Postby AndrewCudgewa » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 am

Chapter 4 – The re/new-build starts

My work order approach is typically determined by doing any heavy/messy/involved work first - ie. Work on either the chassis or body that involves power tools or brute force. There’s no sense building delicate detail only to have to try and work around it during heavy work, or break it and have to re-do it. This is a discipline issue as there’s some great detail work I would love to tackle now, but there’s no point before I have the basics in shape.

I like to tackle the chassis first as you get as many tries as you want at the body, but there’s only one chassis.

First is an easy step to ease my way into it and build confidence – replacing the wheels in the pilot with a spoked version per prototype. The V wheels were comparatively small (compared to say the D1) and I have a spoked wheel set on hand ex-the Bachmann 4-6-0 which gained bigger ones to help it approximate the D1. Makes the lie of my previous comment about stripped pieces not being that useful :oops: These wheels are quite a close fit - I shouldn’t be surprised given the US parentage of both locos and the prototype, but it’s a pleasant surprise to find it has the right number of spokes and is much closer to required diameter. The pilot wheel set is ensconced in a metal housing which, like other areas of the locomotive, has not been made to be worked on and needs to be pried open to pull the original wheel set out and place the new one. This is quite hard to do without bending the casing around the axle, so some remedial work is required afterward to ensure the new wheel set is properly held. As importantly, check the arm for the bogie to ensure the angle is correct enough to ensure it tracks well. Pilot derails are a pain in the neck.

Given the distance of the Pilot from drivers is only approx. 1mm over scale, I chose not to modify the pilot arm. I’ve spent quite a few years working with proprietary chassis and my finding is generally that factories do a pretty good job at getting a RTR chassis running well AS BUILT these days and to quite fine tolerances. I emphasise “AS BUILT” as modification to a RTR mechanism risk the fine balances the manufacturer has worked out and is done at peril, often it is actually safer to just build one from scratch. So, only modify if it is critical to the integrity of the replica. I decided approx. 1mm is not worth cutting/shutting or replacing the pilot arm. That’s one of those compromises I mentioned earlier.

Next is a little more involved- those steam chests have to come off, the rebuilt V not having them. The cylinder block is all one casting so it is easy to remove (the screw in the chassis base that holds the boiler on also) and work on, however it is a die casting which makes modification hard going. I sawed through the steam chests to remove the bulk of the excess material then dremelled away until the casting started to resemble the V. The picture below shows the before and after.

Care is needed not to unduly damage the cylinder or the motion guides (though these may be changed later). I also found a casting line passing along one of the cylinder lines so took the opportunity to remove this. Finally it will all need to be smoothed or else painting will show this area to look like it was in a hailstorm.

Above is following cutting/dremelling however pre-finishing which was initially done with a small coarse file then reducing grades of sand paper to get the finish smoother. As the fronts of the V cylinder barrels were smooth those bolts will have to come off (and a small piston rod extension added, but that’s much later when we get to detail).

Next: Chapter 5 – Busting the Boiler

Cheers, Andrew

james13

Postby james13 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Good work Andrew, and as always, a great read.
Modelling the trains I like

catenary

Postby catenary » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi Andrew,

This is all a bit deja vu to me! - Seeing that I kitbashed a Tyco HO Mikado into a fair likeness of a WAGR V clas Mikado, back in the late 70s. I did it for a couple of WAGR afficionados in York, WA. It was quite a satisfying project, as I think yours will be.
Regards, Ian W.

AndrewCudgewa

Postby AndrewCudgewa » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for your encouragement James13 and Ian, appreciated.

Ian, you had me rifling through my AMRM cut-outs this evening as I have cut-out quite a bit of WAGR scratchbuilding over the years, however the Sn3.5 V I found wasn't one of yours. The V is a good looking engine, a lot of brute for the NG, it would have been an interesting build. Happy to hear I'm bringing back the memories! Completely agree on the satisfaction, I'm a bit of a broken record that for all the effort put into building one's own, the rewards are many times over. However the V turns out I'll have a soft spot for it.

Cheers, Andrew

catenary

Postby catenary » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi again Andrew,
I did not write up the V for AMRM. I think that at the time Bob Gallagher had given me a shopping list of VR topics he wanted written up, especially VR suburban electric, so I concentrated on that.
The V model was a little bit of a compromise; one thing that helped was the fact that I tossed out the original Mantua/Tyco tender body, and built an S scale body from the WAGR general arrangement drawings. Still, it was a HO loco kit running on 16.5 mm track, representing Sn3 1/2. The saving grace was that it was a large American prototype, and the final result was OK. Adrian Gunzburg had a look at it and reckoned that the compromise had 'worked.
By the way, the 2 original VR Vs were imported by Andrew Newell and Co., a Melbourne firm who had the licence for Baldwin in Australia. That Andrew Newell is my Wilma's great grandfather. Add to that the fact my late father rather admired the Vs when he saw them around Ballarat as a boy, and there is almost enough justification to build one - but not this year!!
- Ian W.

K160

Postby K160 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Some solid progress going on there Andrew. 8-)
Regards
Matthew Davis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew-davis-photography/
Now on Flickr
Last updated April 21st 2015
Celebrating 30 years of the R-class in operating preservation 1985-2015

Return to “Model Railways”